Previous years' coursework modules consisted of the following:
Computational and Mathematical Primer
- Hahn BD Essential MATLAB for Scientists and Engineers (2nd Ed) Butterworth Heinemann.
Principles of Protein Structure
Structural Cell Biology
- Pollard TD, Earnshaw WC and Lippincott-Schwartz J (2007) Cell Biology (Second Edition), Saunders
- Medalia O, Weber I, Frangakis AS, Nicastro D, Gerisch G, Baumeister W (2002) Macromolecular Architecture in Eukaryotic Cells Visualized by Cryoelectron Tomography. Science 298, 1209-1213
Structural Bioinformatics and Molecular Modelling
- Bourne P and Weissig H (Eds.) (2003) Structural Bioinformatics. Wiley
- Leach AR (2001) Molecular Modelling - Principles and Applications (2nd edition). Pearson Education
X-ray crystallography of proteins
Protein Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy
- Levitt MH (2001) Spin Dynamics: Basics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Wiley, Chichester
Three-dimensional Electron Microscopy
- Frank J (2006) Three-dimensional electron microscopy of macromolecular assemblies: Visualization of Biological Molecules in their native state, Oxford University Press, Oxford
Applications of Structural Biology
- Thiel KA (2004) Structure-aided drug design’s next generation. Nature Biotechnology 22, 513-519.
- Kubinyi H (1998) Structure-based design of enzyme inhibitors and receptor ligands. Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development 1, 4-15
- Flower RJ (2003) The development of COX2 inhibitors. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 2, 179-191.
- Hajduk PJ, and Greer J (2007) A decade of fragment-based drug design: strategic advances and lessons learned. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 6(3), 211-219.